Purpose: To provide professional ASL interpreting for clear communication to the Deaf concerning worship and the PK conference message. Ensure every church within your sphere of influence actively partner in sending men to the conference.
Reports to: ASL Captain
Works closely with: ASL Interpreters, Food Captain
Special Qualifications/Preferred Profile:
- Service oriented, caring, able to assist in interpreting for the deaf men.
- RID certified or equivalent.
- Knowledge and practice of the Interpreter’s Code of Ethics.
- Involved in continued education to issues related to Interpreters.
- Familiar with the deaf culture.
- Help to ensure the conference is “SOLD OUT”
- Wear proper attire, clean-cut appearance is requested
- Arrive at the Deaf Section seating area at least 1 hour before the event begins.
- Assist the ASL Captain to setup the Interpreters signing area
- Meet with the other Interpreters to encourage them and pray together for the lives of the Deaf men and for the anointing of the Lord to guide the Interpreters.
- Interpret the PK platform messages, prayers, and worship songs for the Deaf.
- Be prepared to provide signs to the other interpreters if/when he is having a dilemma with some words from the speakers.
- Be aware of the location of the altar call for the Deaf, it is usually located right next to the ASL Interpreter. Then explain to the Deaf audience where the altar call area for the Deaf will be – not in front of the main stage.
- During the altar call, the Deaf men who come forward should come to the floor in front of the Deaf Section in a way that allows them to still follow the ASL Interpreter as they translate the Evangelist’ message
- Interpret one-on-one for Deaf men in the event they speak with a hearing pastor during alter call or other situations that may arise ,as necessary.
- Keep the Interpreter’s signing area clear.
- Remove paper signs from the chairs, caution tape, etc. from the Deaf Section area.